Living in the 21st century, I have rarely given thought to being without power for more than a day. I was thoroughly dismayed when we lost power in December for about 36 hours. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would be without power for 90 hours. I know that I am not a pioneer, nor would I profess to being rough and tough(I am proudly a girl!), but I thought I would deal with this better. Our family actually did okay for the first two days, but then as two turned into three the grouches and grumpies began to emerge. We did everything we could to avoid going home. It was sad to hear my own children say, "Mom, it's kind of sad when you don't want to go home," but I understood what they were saying.
I know it doesn't seem like much, but when the power goes out at our house, there is no water or heat. We live in the country, and we are on well water. Our only consolation was a wood burning stove. However, we were gone during the day, and the house never warmed above 50. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a pansy when it comes to the cold. Needless to say, on the second night we went in search of a generator, but there were none to be had in the state of Maine! I am not joking.
We were able to borrow a generator from a co-worker of Jakes, but it would only work a few electrical things. Never enough power for the water pump or heater. I hope these pictures give you some idea about this storm.
I have to say that it was truly a beautiful sight to see everything literally covered in white. The denseness of the trees caused all the problems because so many could not bear the weight of the snow and snapped. If you look closely at the bottom picture, at the base of the pine trees is what appears to be a tree branch, but it is actually a tree about 8 inches in diameter that has broken. Thousands of trees caused all the problems for the power company. I do have sympathy, but my patience is not to great.
Maybe we will move to Arizona!



.gif)




1 comments:
Holy COW!!! I heard about it on the news and wondered if YOU were affected! HOW DID YOU DO IT???
I seriously would have gone to a hotel! What a whimp I am!
You have every right to WHINE all you want! 30 BELOW! Unreal! I say move to Arizon too! But wait until I have come out and visited you (when it warms up that is!!!)
Post a Comment