Monday, February 16, 2009

Raising the Flag - A milestone.

As a part of the "human family," I am always fascinated by and enjoy participating in the diverse ways we go about celebrating milestones in our societies. Experiencing small successes during a long journey makes that journey less stressful and more enjoyable. We, humans(?), need continual "pats on the back" for our hard work. Who doesn't like a treat for a job done well?

Jake has been involved with a large project in the Netherlands. He knew that it was mandatory for him to be in Amsterdam on February 4, but he was unsure why it was so important. Had he been aware of Dutch customs he would have had no confusion.

Celebrating a building's construction reaching its highest point is a Dutch tradition similar to the American groundbreaking cermony. He was, as I am sure the Dutch are with us and our traditions, amused at the pomp and circumstance involved on this day. The day began in a tent with hor d'oeuvres, champagne, and a few speeches from the mayor and other dignitaries(?). Jake was grateful all he had to do was eat. I am not sure what he would have said in Dutch. He sat there smiling and nodding. We have laughed because for all he knew they could have been talking about him, and there he sat nodding and laughing when everyone else did. When the speeches were finished, he and a few others stepped up to the platform and raised the flag commemorating this important milestone in the project.


A wide angle view of the building and its surroundings. Nebraska or Iowa? No, Hoofddorp!

The flag will soon wave on the top of the outcropping at the top of the building.

The four hard hats walking toward the orange machine are the ones who will raise the flag. Yes, Jake is the tallest one.


Since it was raining and extremely muddy, the flag-raiser stand on a wooden platform to raise the flag.


The flag is raised! The work continues! Jake gets to go back and forth!
When I married Jake 27 years ago, I had no idea I was marrying a dignitary. hehehehehe! Well, he has always been number one in my eyes. Now, if only I get to with him on one of his trips.






1 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow! That is so cool you are married to such a VIP! It's really not fair you don't get to go with him !

I love Amsterdam but I don't rememember it looking like that! Prob because I was seeing too many "red lights" were I was! lol