Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grateful for our Ancestors!

Where would we be without those who have come before us? I am truly grateful for ancestors who were willing to risk everything to give me a better life. From the pilgrims to the pioneers, I stand in awe at the sacrifices these men and women were willing to take so that I could enjoy the freedoms that I do. I do not believe that I would have had the courage or strength to face such incredible odds. I am sure I would have run back to the comforts of my old life as soon as I faced the first challenge. Gratefully, they met these tasks head on! I hope one day to personally be able to thank these fine men and women.



Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. Situated across I-80 just outside of Kearney, Nebraska is an awesome museum dedicated to those who founded the west. They had an awesome display on the Mormons, and thier trek west. This was a depiction of the Saints as they crossed the Mississippi River in February when they were forced from Nauvoo.






"Hail to the Sunrise" monument on the Mohawk Trail near Charlemont, Massachusetts.




A great replica of the Mayflower called the Mayflower III sits in Plymouth Harbor. I am soooooo thankful I didn't have to travel like this. I think I would have spent the entire time on deck loosing my lunch over the side of the ship. I was actually surprised at how spacious the ship really was.





"Plymouth Rock" We were actually disappointed with our visit here. I believe we had expected so much more since it was the place where the pilgrims(supposedly) landed. You will just have to come visit to find out the story behind "Plymouth Rock." We were highly amused by the mausoleum built over the "rock." It was quite spectacular as you can see.

Thank heavens the Native Americans were so willing to help a people who would eventually take so much from them.


Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Jodi said...

Yea you posted!!!!!

Wow, that is so interesing. Is that the "real" Plymouth Rock? I always thought it was just the name of a place! I am SO glad you share all these amazing sights because I am sure I am not going to get to visit them in person!